Infectious Disease & Travel Medicine
Many common infections can be treated by your primary care clinician, however an individual may be referred to an Infectious Disease specialist when :
- an infection is difficult to diagnose
- an infection is accompanied by a high fever
- an infection/illness does not respond to treatment
- plans to travel to a foreign country or a location where infection risk is high
- illness becomes a part of their overall care, for example, a patient with HIV/AIDS
In all of these cases, the specialized training and diagnostic tools of the Infectious Disease specialist can help determine the cause of your infection and the best approach for treatment.
Located at Pentucket Medical’s Riverwalk/ Lawrence site, board certified specialist in Infectious Disease, Karen Mello, MD, has years of experience in the evaluation and treatment of conditions such as undiagnosed fevers, HIV infection, tuberculosis, bone and joint infections, skin and soft tissue infections.
With on-site lab and diagnostic services available, Dr Mello works with your primary care clinician to design and implement a comprehensive treatment plan to best suit your health care needs. Should your treatment involve a hospital stay, a member of your care team will refer you to hospitals in the area or in Boston for more specialized care.
Should you be planning to travel abroad, our specialists provide health consultations, including necessary vaccinations.