Everyone occasionally feels sad. But most of those feelings are related to a trigger and pass within a couple of days but when u have depression it interfers with your daily life, it affects your life and affects the lives of other around you.
What is depression and what are the symptoms?
Severe symptoms that interfere with your ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy life, lasting longer than 2 weeks, is something you need to be concerned about.
Symptoms of depression include:
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness, or hopelessness.
- Loss of interest or pleasure in usual activities, including sex.
- Difficulty concentrating and complaints of poor memory.
- Insomnia or oversleeping.
- Appetite changes, which may include weight gain or loss.
- Fatigue, lack of energy.
- Thoughts of suicide or death.
- Slow speech; slow movements.
- Sleep disturbances.
Why does it happen? Is it my fault I am depressed?
Most likely not. Lot of factors like Genes, Stress, and neurohormones are most likely the cause of depression.
Factors causing and affecting depression include:
- Genetic factors- many studies have shown its familial. Family, twin, and adoption studies provide very solid and consistent evidence that MDD is a familial disorder and that this familiality is mostly or entirely due to genetic factors.
- Stress – ongoing or recent stress due to interpersonal adversities, including childhood sexual abuse, other lifetime trauma, low social support, marital problems, and divorce.
- Cortisol – some subjects with MDD do show abnormalities of that axis of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.
- Serotonin and GABA – the neurohormones implicated are serotonin and GABA. Reduced central serotonin and GABA both have been associated with mood congruent memory bias, altered reward-related behaviors, and disruption of inhibitory affective processing.
If you have any questions anytime about depression, depression care, need help or advise, please feel free to call me.
Tapasya Srivastava, MD, MPH
Pentucket Medical – North Andover
Other resources available for you are:
Counseling Associates of Dracut and Methuen
Emily Bergeron, MA, LMHC – Therapist
Located in Pentucket Medical, Haverhill