Kenneth Adams, MD, FACC
Cardiologist and Medial Director at PMA
Many of you know me as the Senior Cardiologist at PMA and have seen a few of my blogs on heart topics. You may not know that I am also the Medical Director at PMA. This means I have a role in how we deliver medical care. I meet regularly with other providers and administrative leaders at PMA and Partners Healthcare. PMA is a member of Partners Healthcare.
One of our very important initiatives focuses on patients with Diabetes. We have a team approach to Diabetes management that includes primary care providers, Endocrinologists and Certified Diabetes Educators.
Diabetes Program Goals
- Check hemoglobin A1c at least twice a year. This blood test shows how Diabetes has been controlled for several months
- Try to get the A1c level to 7 which shows good Diabetes control
- Check LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol) to see if it is at target. The goal is to make sure the LDL is 100 or less and/or that you are on appropriate level of cholesterol reducing medicine
- Make sure you have an annual eye exam because Diabetes can affect vision
- Make sure a urinalysis is checked every year to detect any abnormal protein loss
Diabetes can affect patients in so many ways including:
- heart disease
- vascular disease
- eye, kidney and nerve damage.
Please be sure to follow up with the PMA Diabetes team to help us help you.
More to come in the future……stay tuned….